Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, November 23, 2007

Dandiya


One good friend of mine first told me about the Dandiya function held in New Jersey. Being a south indian it was my first time to visit a dandiya function. I was enticed entirely on my first view of them. The whole street was filled with gals and boys of all ages dancing gorgeously to the rhythmic beats of the song. Most of them were holding decorated bamboo sticks called dandias and were dancing elegantly using it. Both gals and boys were dressed attractively wearing lots of ornaments and colorful dresses. The view was mesmerizing. I cursed myself for not carrying the camera with me as i could not capture the event, but i used my mind instead.
Dance is not my piece of cake. But after seeing the ocean of people dancing and the energy generated, I bought a pair of dandiya sticks from a near-by shop and got inside. I was jumping like anything. I could not keep the rhythm of the dance and my dance dint bring any charm. Anyone who observed me would have laughed loudly. Anyway at the end of the day, i enjoyed alot and i even learned a new thing, how to jump while others dance ;-)

No comments: