Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eniya Tamil Putthandu Nalvazhthukkal (Tamil New Year wishes)



I used to think Why this much hype for Christmas, Easter or Halloween in this country.. And I also felt that they all target the kids.. I mean like Santa will come leave a gift for the kids and with Easter egg huntings and the Halloween Costumes for the kids etc..  
Last week, I met an Indian woman(North Indian while I am a South Indian) we were chatting.. She was asking how I am preparing for my festival next week. I was literally blinking( I don't know what it was).  Looking at my puzzled face, she told that she was talking about the Tamil new year. Ooops.. And our conversation went on.
Now coming to the point, how will I celebrate Tamil new year??? I used to get up early in the morning, go to temple and greet friends & relatives.. Everyone in Tamilnadu/Tamilian does that.. What is exciting about that? Will my Mowgli or Nemo ever appreciate or enjoy it? Or any other kid/younger generation enjoy it? No way. Will they ever think about it in future.. If they dont enjoy something, how can they pass on that to their younger generation? Now I understood why there is hype for Christmas, Easter or Halloween. They make the Kid to expect/wait for that day and the kids enjoy and appreciate them. And they remember the good time and the excitements they had forever. And they pass on the tradition to their younger generation. Makes sense isn't it?

p.s.: Our Deepavali has Cracker/holiday/snacks and Our Pongal has sugarcane/holiday/snacks, which will excite the kids. The Festivals which is not exciting for kids will definitely die soon. What can I do about that? Nothing much but I made lots of bakshanams(snacks) and drew some kolam and let the kids color them.. hi hi

3 comments:

Vani said...

well, i need to think a while whether to agree or disagree your point. My instant opinion is i dont think it is to keep the tradition in light, it is all become commercialized here I could see the similar phase back in our home too. But still I dont agree that our kids wont value our traditions. It is how we project those to them.

Manjari said...

Yeah you are right, there is commercialization.. And that is the marketing strategy anyone will use.
I thought without the younger generation participation, the festivals may perish soon(It will be just another day-off in the calendar)..

Anna said...

no matter how the world turns out. impressive that you still prepared sweets and made kolam these simple things bring joy to our lives.